Serpent Addiction

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Upgrading to Ubuntu Breezy / XEmacs

It's a rainy Sunday, a good time to upgrade my Ubuntu desktop from Hoary 5.04 to Breezy 5.10. A few hours later I'm frustrated. The upgrade process gives me errors which I spend too much time resolving. I have backups of /etc and /home/jbauer, but a system restore would not have been pleasant. I won't go into the details, but enough time spent on Ubuntu forums found the answers to most of my questions. Upgrading is a task for the steel-willed, not nervous nellies such as myself.

I prefer XEmacs to GNU/Emacs, though I could live with either. One problem with running XEmacs from the command line is the annoying messages:

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

My LANG environment is en_US.UTF-8, so my short-term fix is to create a command line script, ~/bin/xe:

LANG=C xemacs $* &

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home